Friday, January 29, 2010

In Loving Memory

It's one thing to look at a person for who they are and how they shaped your life, but it's an entirely different thing to be present at a funeral where the Church was too full for every guest to take a seat. He impacted so many people. When I think of Gramps, I think of a collage of colorful memories from piling orange peels in a compost pile of worms to holding hands as we walked along Michigan Avenue for five miles on our one-on-one date. Gramps was a hands-on grandfather. He was at every game; every recital; every play. He practiced what he preached. He didn't tell us how to be; he showed us how to be. It's amazing for someone to have come from such a broken past to create such an incredible life for himself and his family. I will never forget skating up in Lake Forest and having our picture taken together for the newspaper. I will never forget the face you made before giving me a rough hug. I will never forget the advice you gave me about how to swing a baseball bat. And I will never forget the lessons you taught me to make me a stronger person. Hard work pays off. A little bit goes a long way. At the end of every day, you are who you choose to be and what you make of yourself. I hope that in my life, I can be as inspired and driven as you were. And I hope that I can live every day to the fullest as you did. I will miss you Gramps. Love always, Meggers.

1 comment:

Millers said...

Loved this Meg - so well written - maybe you should write about your pictures! Good job on the blog -
Your "I wish I were yourTwin!" - :)